Churches in Himachal
01 Christ Church (Shimla)
The imposing Church stand majestically on the ridge, is the second oldest Church in North India. It has a very a very majestic appearance and inside there are stained glass windows which represent faith, hope, charity, patience and humanity. It was built in 1857. In fact it has become synonymous with Shimla and no picture of two town is complate without it.
02 Christ Church (Kasauli)
Kasauli is still unspoilt and very much as the British left it fifty years ago. Kasauli has a very fine Christ Church. It is a typically angular structure of representing the old time. Its foundation stone was laid in 1884. Its well proportioned gothic arches are framed against stately deodars.
03 Chamba Church (Chamba)
Situated in the main Chamba market is the beautiful Chamba Church. This Church was erected by Raja Sham Singh and gifted to the church of Scotland mission for the use of the christian community in Chamba. Its foundation stone was laid on 17th February, 1899 A.D. and its work was finished in 1905 A.D.
04 St. Andrew Church (Dalhousie)
St. Andrew's Church commonly known as the Church of Scotland was built in the year 1903 at Baloon by Protestant Christians. The Church is approximately one and half kms. from Dalhousie's bus stand. The Church building is in good condition but needs more than what is currently being offered. A brick boundary wall has been erected around it to save the building from mischief mongers. The enterance gate is always closed but you can go inside from the right corner of the main boundary wall. No matter if it remains closed now, it will always remind everyone of the great British rulling time.
05 St. John's Church (Dalhousie)
This Church stands on the Gandhi Chowk approximately 2 kms. from the main bus stand of Dalhousie. This Church was the first to be built after the town of Dalhousie was founded. The church building stands in a good condition but its surroundings demand much better care. Service is conducted on every Sunday. There is a library situated just at the left side of the enterance gate. You can relax and find some really useful material regarding Dalhousie here. You can see many old and rare photographs of the British time. This library is worth visiting for those who seek a good knowledge about Dalhousie.
06 St. Francis' Church (Dalhousie)
This Catholic Church is a very prominent monument on the Subhash Chowk. This Church was built in the year 1894 from the contributions made by Army and Civil Officers and Civilians. This Church is managed and maintained by the Cathoilic Diocese of Jalandhar. St. Francis' Church on Portrain hill is believed to have been built on the lines of a certain church in England. Beautiful glass work and intricate stone work can be seen in the Church. Service is conducted every Sunday.
07 St. Patrik's Church (Dalhousie)
This Church is situated in Baloon, Dalhousie Cantt., on Military Hospital road approximately 2 kms. from main bus stand. St. Patrick's Church is the largest church in Dalhousie having a seating capacity of 300 persons in its main hall. The Church was built in the year 1909 and the dressed-stone building is still in good condition. This Church was built exclusively from contribution made by officers and ranks of the British Army. At present the Church is managed and maintained by the Catholic Diocese of Jalandhar. This church is situated at a very scenic spot. It is one of the most beautiful churches in north India, especially its building is of very different kind. Service is conducted on Sunday.
08 St. John's Church (Dharamshala)
8 km. from Dharamshala town ) The church lies in the forest between Mcleod Ganj and Forsyth Ganj. It has a monument dedicated to Lord Elgin, one of the viceroys of India, who died at Chauntra ( Mandi district ) and was buried here in 1863 A.D. The Church has lovely spotted glass windows and there is a Christian cemetery around it. It is ideally situated in the majestic 'Deodar' forest.